About the E2 visa: frequently asked questions

How do I qualify for an E2 Visa?

The E2 Visa is for citizens of treaty countries who are interested in buying or starting a new business in the United States.  It requires a "substantial investment" in the business.   No sponsorship or job offer is required.  If you get the E2 Visa, you will be able to live and work at your own business in the US indefinitely. 

What if I'm not a citizen of a treaty country?

If you meet the requirements except for the citizenship, there is an option.  You may be able to obtain a second citizenship and apply for the E2 Visa with this second citizenship.  The Grenada citizenship is a relatively quick and easy solution.  It can happen in less than a year and the cost is very reasonable.  Contact us for more info. 

Are there age requirements for an E2 Visa?

No.  The consular officer simply has to be sure that you can run a successful business in the United States. 

Do I have to start a business related to my degree?

No.  You can buy or start any business in the United States, as long as it is legal and for-profit (no charitable organizations).  You must only be able to show the consular officer that you will successfully run the business.  No specific degree is required. 

Can my spouse live in the US with me?

Yes! Your spouse can live and work in the United States as an E2 derivative as long as your E2 Visa is valid. 

What business should I start or buy?

You can buy any business you wish.  Some investors choose to buy a franchise or a privately-sold business.  Others buy a majority of an existing business.  Still others start brand new businesses.  Any of these options are possible. 

How much do I need to invest?

There is no mandated minimum amount.  however, most attorneys with ample E2 Visa experience will tell you that a minimum of $100,000 USD is best.  Of course, the cost of the business will influence the amount you should invest.  More expensive businesses require a higher investment. 

How do I get $100,000 to invest in the US?

You can get the money in any way legal way.  Many younger E2 visa investors will get the money as a gift from their parents.  After all, it's about the same amount as two semesters in school.  And with the E2 visa, you will make money and can live and work in the US indefinitely! 

I will run a service-based business. How will I spend $100,000?

I help people with service businesses all the time.  There are a variety of ways to show this type of investment including professional services, equipment, office rent, etc. 

Can my business have investors?

Yes!  You can have investors, but you should maintain at least 50% ownership of the business.